Ever since Graham Marsh & JP Gaul’s excellent book, The Ivy Look, arrived at OiPolloi, we’ve been thinking a complimentary mix might be a good shout. The clothing and style has been praised far and wide, and for a long time now, most of us (knowingly or unknowingly) have been wearing key pieces of the Ivy look. Anyone been wearing chinos, Converse, Levi’s, Baracuta, Gloverall or Lacoste lately? Thought so. Plenty’s been said about the clothes, time to give nod to the music – often the soundtrack that was so central to the scene goes ignored.
Well, here it is – a little selection of tracks recorded by some of the jazz greats (best experienced from the stereo of an E-type, probably in New York).
1. Blue Train – John Coltrane
2. Senor Blues – Horace Silver
3. Brother John – Yusef Lateef
4. My Groove Your Move – Hank Mobley
5. Zoltan – Larry Young
6. Alamode – Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers
7. Bedouin – Bobby Hutcherson
8. Father and Son – Freddie Hubbard
9. Lonesome Lover – Max Roach & Abbey Lincoln